Keeping Your Dehumidifier Clean And At Its Best
In Tampa Bay, we deal with humidity year round and a humidifier is key to keeping most homes comfortable. A relative humidity level from 35 percent to 50 percent is the target zone, which eliminates stuffiness in the house, avoids mold growth and prevents wood rot.
Make sure your humidifier is sized properly to fit the conditions in your home by using this handy chart from Energy Star, an information resource provided by the U.S. Department of Energy.
It’s very important, however, to maintain you humidifier. To keep your running efficiently, follow these tips:
- Unplug your humidifier before cleaning.
- Empty the tank or bucket and wipe surfaces dry to discourage any mold growth, using disinfectants and cleaning products recommended by your unit’s manufacturer.
- Clean the condenser coils inside the unit. Use a soft tooth brush or lint-free cloth and gently remove debris from coils. Don’t use water, cleansers or chemicals on coils as they may rust.
- If you can access the fan, clean with a soft cloth, being careful not to bend the blades.
- Wash the air filter with mild soap mixed with a few drops of bleach and warm water. Place it on a small cloth and air dry before replacing in the unit. If the filter will not come clean, it’s time to replace it.
- Vacuum dirt buildup from exposed surfaces.
- If your dehumidifier does not have a built-in humidistat, use a hygrometer to measure humidity levels and stay within the target zone. These units are available at most hardware stores.
- When storing your unit for an extended period of time, clean it and make sure it’s completely dry. Dispose of used filters or de-mineralization cartridges.
- Should you develop breathing problems, turn off your dehumidifier and consult your doctor before continuing to use it.
If you have any questions about dehumidifiers, home humidity or indoor air quality, contact the experts at Simpson Air. Family-owned Simpson Air is the home of The Coolest Guys and we’ve been serving the HVAC needs of Tampa Bay since 1999. We’re proud to be a Better Business Bureau Accredited Business with an A+ rating.