More Troubleshooting Air Conditioner Tips…And When To Call Simpson Air
Simpson Air understands how frustrating it is when your air conditioner stops functioning on a hot Tampa day. That’s why we’ve offered plenty of advice in the past on troubleshooting A/C problems. It’s also why we’re offering more advice now, because the list of possible air conditioner issues can be daunting!
- Make sure the condenser and evaporator coils are clean. Coils get dirty over time, reducing your A/C’s efficiency and compromising performance. If you’re not comfortable brushing them off gently or using a vacuum attachment to remove the debris, call Simpson Air.
- Check the refrigerant. This is best done by a professional because of the potentially high pressure levels and chemicals involved. If refrigerant levels are low, there may be a leak in your equipment, and the evaporator coils could be vulnerable to freezing. If refrigerant levels are high, damage could be done to the compressor.
- Check the condensate drain. When the air is humid, the condensate drain can become clogged. This not only reduces efficiency, but can actually lead to higher indoor humidity as well as water problems that may cause structural damage to your home.
- Check the controls on the compressor and the fan. If your air conditioner cycles on and off very frequently, which is often the case with an inefficient or oversized system, the wear and tear can damage the controls. Make sure there is no corrosion on the terminals or wires. Corroded electrical connections should be serviced by a professional.
- We can’t stress it enough: Check the air filter. If the filter is dirty or clogged, it can restrict airflow through your system, and it fails to capture as many contaminants as it should. Dirty filters can cause dirt and other particles to spread through your system, your ducts and your home. If the circulation becomes too restricted, your system may stop working.
Troubleshooting your air conditioner isn’t always easy. If you have questions or could use a hand, please contact us. The professionals at Simpson Air in Tampa will get the job done right.